after Simone Martini
This crucifix was painted around 1321 by Simone Martini for San Casciano (Florence), Church of the Misericordia. Mary is positioned in the left panel and St. John on the left. The corpus evidences the struggle to depict the body in a physically realistic manner as compared to the earlier Crucifixes that hung above the altars of Italian churches that were very elongated and related to earlier icons.
Mixed media with gold leaf